Groton-New London Airport Business Park Reaching New Heights
Groton-New London Airport and the surrounding commercial district are a key economic engine for Groton. In particular, the Airport Business Park is seeing more activity than it has in years.
Groton-New London Airport is on a growth trajectory with the development of a 40-room hotel and accompanying restaurant in the planning stages. In addition, multiple properties surrounding the airport on Tower Road are being marketed for both aviation-related and non-aviation uses. Development in this area benefits from the Airport Development Zone approved in 2017. A complete summary of the airport’s economic impact is detailed here.
Airport Business Park
The area is being further energized by activity taking place at the Airport Business Park on Leonard Drive.
- New construction is planned adjacent to the Kongsberg Maritimebuilding at 170 Leonard Drive. Approximately 9,000 square feet of office or flex/industrial space is slated to be built. The detailed property listing can be found here.
- CrossFit Inguz is moving forward with new construction at 90 Leonard Drive, thanks in part to Town Council approval of funding from the Economic Assistance Fund. Crossfit Inguz will relocate from their current facility at 225 Leonard Drive.
- A new facility nearing completion at 225 Leonard Drive is expected to serve as the location for two area businesses: Beer’d Brewing Company and Mystic Cheese, part of Groton’s expanding Artisan Food Industry.
- The maritime security company ThayerMahan is approaching one year since their grand opening at 120 Leonard Drive.
- Other construction projects are in the planning process as well.
Benefits of the Area
The area benefits from proximity to the airport as well as having good accessibility to I-95 via Route 1/Route 117. Construction, expansion or major renovation projects in this area may be eligible for Enterprise Zone or Airport Development Zone benefits. Underground utilities are available to all sites, including electric, water, sewer and natural gas. The area has good accessibility and readily-available parking at each site.