Bill Memorial Library

Bill Memorial Library

Categories

Libraries

About Us

The Bill Memorial Library was founded in 1888 by Frederic Bill and built in 1890 as Groton's first public library. Mr. Bill dedicated the library to his sisters, Eliza and Harriet. In 1907, Mr. Bill added a museum room that housed paintings, historical artifacts from all over the world, taxidermied birds and hundreds of butterflies. The artifacts are now shown in rotation, and Colonel Ledyard's sword from the Battle of Groton Heights is on permanent display.

The Bill Memorial Library is a privately funded nonprofit public library that works in collaboration with the Groton Public Library, Mystic & Noank Library and Waterford Public Library. Our library card will work in any of these libraries, or in Connecticut library.


Our doors are open for browsing, copying, printing, scanning and faxing. Computers are available with no appointment necessary. Masks are required for all patrons entering the building and social distancing must be observed in the building. Contact-free book pickup is still available. Browse our latest book orders at www.billmemorial.org/new-arrivals .

Images

Gallery Image 175978373_2982524585362545_3391874980074171582_n.jpg
Gallery Image BML_in_snow.jpg
Gallery Image spring_2007_library_photos008.jpg